Sunday, December 7, 2008

Still More Day 54

Sandy the hotel manager and her assistant, Jason, were able to isolate the section of the security tapes where the guys broke into our car, and they called me to down to the office to show me. You can see a dark gray Pathfinder pull up to a red sportscar parked three slots down from us, and a young guy in a white sportscoat and jeans, with dark hair pulled back in a ponytail, hops out of the back passenger side seat. He looks in the other two cars in the lot, then meanders over to ours and glances in the window. Then he opens the back door of the Pathfinder and leans in, as if he's talking to the other people in the car--and the tape glitched out right at that second, so unfortunately, you don't see them break the window. It comes back about two minutes later, and you can see a different guy, who had been sitting in the passenger seat in the front of the Pathfinder, standing at the rear of my car. He's got a green bag in his hand, and at first it looked like he was sliding backward out from under the rear of my car. It was very weird. But we think what we're seeing him is him shutting the trunk. There are papers scattered around my car at that point almost exactly where I found them this morning--many of them sheets from notepads we've gotten from Dan Richmond, our insurance agent. (We always keep a Dan Richmond pad in the glove compartment.) Then he hustles the green bag over to the Pathfinder and hops in, and they all drive away. We couldn't see their license plate, but we think the police might be able to. The other cameras around the building caught them pulling into the parking lot and driving out, but lucky us, they only stop at our car. It all happened about 9:30 last night. 9:30!! In addition to just being pissed off about the whole thing, I'm annoyed at what they took, besides the papers from the glove box...it was all stuff that had absolutely no pawn value and is just going to wind up in a dumpster somewhere, but it's stuff we loved. The green suede gloves I've had for 10 years, the fingerless mittens my sister knitted for me last winter, and from the trunk, they took the green velour blanket that Torger's mom gave us as a wedding gift 16 years ago. It was a worn out old blanket, but really soft and Torger's favorite...he took it with him when he went in for the transplant and had it with him all through his stay in the hospital. We'd only left it in the trunk because we didn't really need it in the hotel, and last night when I unloaded groceries from the car I saw it there and thought, "I really should bring that in and wash it." I never imagined anyone would steal an old blanket. We just picture him going home to Mrs. Thief and saying, "Here honey, here's the blanket you've always wanted." She'd be totally bummed. But we'll miss it, and I think that's why this whole thing is so hard for me to wrap my brain around. It all just seems so stupid, and it makes me sad.

3 comments:

Marcy said...

This just about makes me cry.

I'm going to make you new mitts. But who could replace the blanket?

Lauren said...

What a bunch of idiots! They have it coming for them...I just know it. That would make anyone sad/mad. Some people...I just don't understand! I am so sorry you had to go through that...GGGRRR!!!

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry. When our Civic was broken into for the 2nd time no only did the losers break the window, the smashed the entire console just to pull out a 6 year old cd player that would probably only pawn for 10 bucks,if that. Ironically, they could have taken the LeCrueset dutch oven in the passenger seat and actually gotten something of value. This just sucks that people are so lame. I will mourn your gloves and blanket. I understand the feeling of violation a car break in causes.