Saturday, October 25, 2008

Day 10--An Upward Trend

Thanks for the daily title, Mom! Torger is definitely on an upward trend, although he's starting to show some signs of graft versus host disease (GVHD). A little GVHD is a good thing, but too much is very dangerous. So the doctors are keeping an eye on things. So far, it's just showing up as a rash on his neck and legs. He also feels like his legs are falling asleep when he walks around, which one of his doctors said is an effect of the engrafting process. Supposedly, the more he can walk and work his legs, the better it will be for the new cells working their way into the bone marrow. So we've been doing laps around the floor as much as we can. My friends Sarah and Coleman are staying with me at the hotel this weekend and helping get it set up for our long-term stay. But the big news at the hospital Friday was a campaign visit by Hillary Clinton. It was a huge event and everybody on the floor seemed excited, but it really made parking even more of a hassle than usual. I think my concerns have become very parochial, but I was much more interested in getting Torger his Jello in a timely fashion.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you found a parking spot! We are excited about Barack's visit to the oval tomorrow. It is great to know your good friends Coleman and Sarah are there for you. Did you ever get a toaster oven? Are you still planning to do that?
Day 11 - Could be better than 7!
mom

Marcy said...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for just a teensy bit of GVHD and no more. How much is too much? How can you tell? What are the signs?

Lauren said...

No posts in a few days...hope all is ok! I want to find a time, soon, to come say hi if you are able to and up for it! Is email the best way to get a hold of you?

Fujiyamamama said...

I hope all is well over there, and that the jello is excellent.

(I'm a friend of Marcy's.)