Friday, June 19, 2009

Day 248--Still Dealing With Weight

One of the real lessons I took away from our time in the hotel was how much energy I expend every day at home worrying about what I'm going to wear. Sometime in my first week of telecommuting, I had to call my stay-at-home-mom sister and ask, "How do you not just wear the same thing every day?" Because that's pretty much what I wanted to do...jeans and a shirt. And when you're telecommuting, who's going to know (or care) if it's actually a clean shirt or one you just plucked off the top of the hamper? You can't get away with that sort of trickery when you have to get up in the morning and go be in an office full of people who aren't your husband. You actually have to iron and match things and generally avoid the kind of impression you make when wearing stains from last night's spaghetti at 9 a.m.

Of course, none of this is a concern for Torger these days. While he generally likes to put on a clean shirt and clean pair of blue Sears pants, he pretty much wakes up every morning knowing that he will be donning a pair of blue Sears pants and whatever shirt rises to the top of the drawer. But when he does so now, he does it with a persistent little nag from me almost daily: "When are you gonna let me buy you some pants?" The truth is, he's lost so much weight that nothing fits him any more. He's punched new notches in his belt and he still generally has to walk with one hand free for hitching up his trousers. He looks like a 53-year-old wannabe rapper.

I've been setting aside a little money each month to take him clothes shopping, but he just won't do it. He says he's waiting for his weight to stabilize, and that is an issue. Even with all the ice cream and butter I've been feeding him, he's not gaining...to the point where I noticed this week that I can see the outline of the catheter tube poking out in his neck! (Be warned: I'm going to take a picture of this for the blog.) He doesn't look malnourished...just thin.

But I know that's not the entire reason he's refusing to buy new pants. As Jon explained in our recent phone conversation, there's a certain type of guy who feels more manly wearing old clothes. That would be Torger. Spending money on fashion is not his idea of fun. He will never "manscape." He's basically been dressing like a grandpa since he was a kid, and it suits him. When he gets creative, fashion-wise, it's by doing something like wearing a windbreaker under his suit jacket (which, remarkably, looks pretty good on him). He has his own, distinct aesthetic. But I still argue that adding in a new pair of blue Sears pants on occasion is just a matter of practicality, and it's nice to be able to walk around the block without flashing the neighbors. I'm not going to give up this fight.

1 comment:

Cathy Doyle said...

Guys just love their comfy clothes! And good that you got dressed, our IT director said that she used to work in her jammies from home!