Monday, November 3, 2008

Day 20--Pancakes A-Plenty

We are becoming a little food-obsessed. Keeping Torger's weight up and getting food in him that will stay there is a constant challenge, and certain kinds of food are proving useful in helping him get his many pills down three times a day. For me, the obsession comes, in part, from trying to figure out creative ways to prepare healthy meals in our tiny little doll kitchen. (I've already had an unfortunate, charbroiled banana bread experience with the toaster oven.) Good old-fashioned pancakes are turning out to be one of our mainstays because 1) I can make them in one pan on the stovetop; 2) they provide enough heft to calm Torger's stomach for his morning meds; and 3) they're delicious! Here is my favorite wonderful pancake recipe for two--it makes three or four medium-sized pancakes each. If you have more than two people, just multiply. Torger just puts honey on his, but I like mine with butter and maple syrup.

In a bowl, stir together:

1/2 cup white flour
1/3 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/8-1/4 tsp. salt (depending on how much you like)

In a separate bowl, whisk together:

1 egg
1/3 cup milk + 1/2 cup milk (I've never added the fractions to combine this into one number, and it's easy to remember because it's just like measuring out the flour. Also, I use skim milk, but I'm sure other kinds would work just fine.)
1 T. honey
2 T. canola oil
1/4 tsp. vanilla

Stir dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just blended. Batter will be lumpy. If it seems too thick and cushiony, just add more milk to thin it to your desired consistency.

Heat a skillet until a droplet of water will dance on the surface. I use a non-stick skillet with no oil, which works perfectly. Pour batter onto skillet. If you want to add in treats here (I like to add blueberries), this is the time to do it. Just dot them onto each each pancake. Batter should bubble, and when it just stops, flip 'em over and cook until they're done.

3 comments:

The Content Narwhal said...

Something about reading the blog today made me think of Jack Johnson's "Better When We're Togther".... hope you enjoy this as much as I do!

Jack on YouTube

Marcy said...

1/3 and 1/2 is 5/6. Easier to do it your way, I think.

Lauren said...

Thanks for the recipe Cara, I am looking to start my own recipe box and have been asking for fav recipes from people so this is perfect, I will try your pancakes out and let you know how I do!